Prince Yahaya Audu (centre) speaks with some persons after the press briefing Saturday in Abuja
A governorship aspirant in the Kogi State All Progressives Congress (APC), Prince Yahaya Audu, has rubbished the polls conducted on Thursday in Lokoja describing it as a daylight robbery.
He told newsmen at a briefing in Abuja that the election, in which the incumbent Governor, Yahaya Bello was announced winner, a charade, characterized with irregularities and fall short of acceptance norms.
Here is a text of the briefing:
Gentlemen of the press
The purpose of this press conference today is to state my position on the purported Kogi State APC governorship primary election held at the township stadium, Lokoja on Thursday August 29, 2019 which Alhaji Yahaya Bello was announced the winner.
I feel it is necessary to clear the air and put the record straight. It is indeed not only disheartening but disappointing the way and manner the entire process was compromised.
I want to place on record that the entire process of the primary was not only a charade but characterized with irregularities and fall short of acceptance norms.
The purported primary can only be better described as “Kangaroo” and a daylight robbery as the entire process was hijacked by Yahaya Bello and his agents.
Consequently, I wish to use this forum to disassociate myself from the said primary and reject the result announced by the returning officers on the following grounds.
- That the entire process of the primary election was fraught with irregularities and fall short of acceptable norms.
- That only the delegates who were give Ankara uniforms by the Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello were allowed to access the venue of the primaries and vote thereby denying several authentic delegates from exercising their franchise.
- That there was no proper accreditation before the commencement of voting.
- That the election was conducted without the agents of most of the aspirants.
- The ballot boxes meant for the election were arranged local government by local government while Gov. Yahaya Bello’s appointed sole administrators stood by the ballot boxes to ensure that the ballot papers which had Yahaya Bello already written on it is dropped in the boxes by every delegate.
- That the security agents prevented some aggrieved aspirants from accessing the returning officers when they wanted to lodge complaints of the glaring irregularities that were being perpetrated at the venue of the election.
Owing to the above irregularities and several others, I hereby reject in totality the outcome of the primary and wish to call on the NWC of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to cancel the result and conduct a fresh and fair primary.
I also want to use this opportunity to thank all my teeming supporters and urge them to remain calm and law abiding as we await the response from the National Working Committee (NWC) and leaders of our great party.
Thank you all
Prince Yahaya Audu